Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Fresh Coat of Paint

I have been reading a new book to my boys called THE RICHEST KIDS IN AMERICA. I want my boys to develop an entrepreneurial spirit at a young age and to really pursue their goals and dreams, but it begins by example; and I have to say that I wasn't quite raised to think "outside the box" in these areas. So I am having to reach outside of myself for inspiration to really tap into what my own passions and dreams are.
Library day was yesterday , so my boys and I loaded up on books about--well, all kinds of things! I checked out 2 cook books (The Skinny Italian and Paula Deen's Just Desserts--go figure :)), a DIY book on home projects, and 3 books on starting your own small business. Can you tell that I am a woman of many interests? My boys checked out books on earthworm farming, a biography on Sam Walton and a few other fun books.
One of the questions posed in the book we're reading is, "What do you really enjoy doing so much that it makes you lose all sense of time when you do it?"
Well, today, I thoroughly enjoyed refinishing 2 chests of drawers that someone gave me for my boys' room. The other day, I sanded and painted an old rocking chair, and I enjoyed every moment of that too. This past weekend, I enjoyed "painting" my face and getting ready to be a bridesmaid in a wedding. :)
Tomorrow though, I might find that I lose myself in baking a cake or putting my childrens' pictures in albums (finally!). These things may never put millions into my wallet--In fact, they may not even toss a $20 in there, but for today, that fresh coat of paint was what I needed to feel like the creative woman I was created to be.
What is it that you would love to lose yourself in today? JUST DO IT!!

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the chest of drawers! Of course...now I want to see the rocking chair too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April. :)
    I'll have to take a picture of the rocking chair tomorrow. It's a really fun color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your post reminded me of a book I have by Max Lucado. It's called "Cure for the Common Life", and helps you find your "sweet spot". In otherwords, finding where the things God created you to love doing combine with His will for your life. Or something like that. Anyway, sounds like you may have already found that, but I think you would enjoy the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tabitha. I haven't read that book, but it sounds really interesting. I'll have to see if our library has it.

    ReplyDelete