Monday, April 18, 2011

Dance of Joy


My moment of inspiration that I'm sharing with you today, was gifted to me by my eldest son this past weekend ...
This weekend, my niece was married in a simple and lovely ceremony, and afterwards, of course, there was dancing. Coming from the upbringing that I do, dancing has definitely never been a public activity, and has only been a private activity on occasion (slow dancing with my hubby and crazy dancing with my children).
My eldest son, who just turned 12, was not only excited about this being his first wedding to ever attend, but was also ecstatic about there being DANCING!!
Well, not only have I not danced publicly, but my children have never danced publicly; and I have seen them dance privately, and let's just say," We're all very white. :)"
There was no stopping him, however. (In fact, I think the groom had to shoo him off the dance floor, just so that he and the bride could have the first dance.) At the first signal that it was okay for everyone to join in, there was no hesitation on his part. With complete and utter abandonment of all self-consciousness, my son DANCED!! I could never tell you the names of any of his dance moves because I don't think there are names for them yet---They were all very original--but I can tell you that there was such a look of joy and happiness on his face as he twirled and kicked and snapped and jumped, and goodness knows what else. The joy was contagious. I laughed and smiled as I watched him, and I've been laughing and smiling about it ever since.
Have you done something today with complete and utter abandonment of self-consciousness? Have you allowed yourself to just DANCE?!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this post! I totally understand what you're saying. I can't stand dancing in public, but at my brother-in-law's wedding, Sydney just came out of her shell. She did the most beautiful dancing I have ever seen. I got a lot of pictures, but I don't know about video. Wish I had caught it on video... it was wonderful!! Maybe it's just this generation. They are able to freely express themselves in this way. Maybe, in a way, it's a lesson we should learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Nikki. I felt nervous just putting myself out there in this blog. Our children teach us so much, Don't they?

    ReplyDelete